Thursday, June 23, 2005
Face to Face
originally posted on June 23, 2005

Tonight at house group, we met at the landfill (or lakefill, depending on who you ask), which is a man-made lake on Northwestern's campus. The lake is surrounded by some very picturesque landscaping and surrounding the land that surrounds the lake is Lake Michigan.

For the last six months or so, I've been reflecting on the idea of the three Shaloms - that is, God's intention for the world when He spoke it into existence is that we would have shalom with God, shalom with each other and shalom with creation. This word, shalom, has deep, wonderful meanings beyond just the peace that it is usually translated as. It means well-being, health, wholeness, oneness, completeness. Rob Bell at Mars Hill refers to the three Shaloms as "God's project". He says that it is our purpose to partner with God in redeeming the world - restoring our world to God's original intention - the three Shaloms.

Somehow we got on to the question of where we see God. Someone brought up nature, which of course is true. But I maintain that God is everywhere. He's in the Sears Tower, the Sistine Chapel, the pizza they serve at Giordano's, the Buckingham Fountain and Lake Michigan. And He's also in you and me.

So we went through a little spontaneous mini-activity. First we looked at the lake, breathing it in, focusing on God. Then we paired up and spent time looking at each other. Something sacred happens when you just stare at someone for awhile. You can't help but giggle. You smile a little, then you smile a lot, and then you're giggling. What's up with that?
I think it's because we are experiencing God. God is joy. Joy is one of those words that just by saying it, you smile a little more. Joy. Joyful. Joyous. Joy joy joy joy down in my heart. When I look at another person, another one of God's creations, created in His image, I see something beautiful and brilliant. Something unique. I look at the people I work with and I see many wonderful personalities and dreams. I look at my friends and my family and I see life. When a baby looks back at you and stares you down, something sacred is happening. Something that transcends our daily reality.

But why do we giggle? I mean, we are just people. I would be curious to hear the response of people who don't believe in God. Because I can't explain it. Maybe something is stirring in our souls - two images of God connecting and joy erupts.

I'm excited to be a part of God's project. I want to spend more time restoring the three shaloms. I want to look for God in this world, here and now. I'm told I don't have to wait to have life and life to the full. I look at Lake Michigan and while I can't wait to see Lake Michigan with the sin and death and tarnish removed, I'm pretty jazzed about Lake Michigan as it is now. And I'm pretty jazzed about seeing you all. Spending time cultivating relationships and enjoying what God is doing. You don't have to spend all day on your knees in prayer to experience God. God's sitting next to you. He's all around you. He's in your fingers and your toes, He's in the words on many many pages, He's in the notes of John Coltrane, He's in every person's laugh, and He's in the person sitting to your left.

Love. Grace. Warmth. Joy. Full. Real. Alive.
Light in the dark.
If you haven't met Jesus, I highly recommend giving him a call.

Labels: