Wednesday, June 29, 2005
Whittle Away
originally posted on June 29, 2005 (during the shingles fiasco)

Yeah, I'm blog-happy today. A little cabin fever going on. Between the indescribable pain (pray for that, will ya?) and the not having to work business, it's been me alone with my thoughts most of the day.

My big thought has been "whittle away." I don't know if that's from God, from me or from a book, but since it seems led by my spirit, I think it's time to pay attention.

"Whittle away all of the things that have nothing to do with who I made you to be."

Sue Monk Kidd says we should take the carvings with us. Embrace them and allow them to be a part of your past. One wise man I know says that I need to keep one foot firmly planted in the present and one foot firmly planted in the past. To recognize that everything I am currently has some footholds in my past, but to forge ahead into the future, being aware of my past but not living from it.

What are the things I need to whittle away?
Some are materialistic. Technology, music, books & magazines (I'm particularly fond of "Fast Company" and Amazon's free shipping on orders of $25 or more).
Some are emotional.
Some have to do with physical health.
Some are needs, that are good, but that I'm going to the wrong places to fulfill.
Some are desires that have nothing to do with reality. Competition springs to mind. The need to be everything to everyone and do everything is another.
Some are how I spend my free time.
Some are things I'm doing and things I'm not doing.

So I whittle away, searching for who God made me to be. Carving off a little bit at a time and partnering with grace in this journey of self-discovery. Self-discovery so that I can bless others. So that I can better love and serve God, myself, others and creation.

Labels: