Friday, September 15, 2006
My Wedding
I promised some people that I'd post pictures from the wedding. I'll keep the commentaries brief (there were so many great stories and moments, I won't attempt to capture them all here). Just an amazing, beautiful and sacred day.

We were married in a beautiful chapel surrounded by our friends and family. Our friend and mentor Keenan performed the ceremony. I was really nervous right up until the first bridesmaid walked down the aisle, at which point I started crying. I didn't really stop crying until the doors swung open and there stood my bride. She looked beautiful and literally took my breath away. At the sound of the audible exhale, my groomsmen immediately left their positions to watch my reactions as she walked up the aisle.

Worship was particularly sweet that day. The presence of God filled the room - and everyone felt it. One of my favorite parts of our wedding was that we didn't go through the motions - we injected meaning into every piece of the day - from communion to worship to vows to rings and more. Our friends Sus & Ellen performed the music, which was stunning, and we got wax all over the Evanston Vineyard's communion gear. We didn't mean to use the pastor's stuff, and we apologize for the wax fiasco. Thanks for not bringing it up.

I'm told I had a goofy smile on my face the entire day. What can I say, I was (and am) happy.
Verity's attendants - her sisters Patience and Faith, Esther, Meg, Bethany and Ryann. Now would be a good time to point out that my wife is the most beautiful woman in the entire world.
My attendants - (top) Josh, Joe and Gerhardt; (bottom) Justin, Hana & Mike. It's an undescribable experience having all of your closest friends in one room being there for you, celebrating, encouraging and sharing the beginning of your new life. I wonder if these six people, all of whom have unique paths into my life, will ever be in the same room at the same time again.
Our wedding party - we are so blessed to have so many amazing friends.
Her parents and my parents. On August 4 they were in that order but now...
The first dance. We danced to Stevie Wonder's "As". My wife is so cool.
Verity and her father tore it up on the dance floor.
The last dance of the evening. I remember feeling equal parts harmony, elation and exhaustion.

Thank you to everyone who celebrated with us. To those who weren't there, it sounds fake, but you were in our hearts that day.

We honeymooned on the central coast of Oregon, where we were jumping distance from a beach in our secluded cabin on a cliff that overlooked the ocean upon which the sun set each night. We saw a whale 15 feet from our boat, we went hiking to a waterfall and we ate enough shellfish to last a lifetime.

A few more notes before I go to bed. My buddy Nick blessed us with his exceptional DJ skills - as well as serving as an unknown coordinator and an emcee - and we played nothing but good music. And we even snuck the solo Thom-Yorke-on-a-piano version of Radiohead's "Fog" into the mix during dinnertime. Both Verity and I had two best men and two maids of honor. They and our fathers toasted us and I've rarely been so touched. Thanks for everything you all did that day. All of our friends and family humbly served us in so many different ways from February through August, and especially the week and day of the wedding. Thanks for being so gracious and loving. I wore a tux, met Verity at the altar, said I do, worshiped God, communioned with my wife and my Lord (and my friend), I exchanged heartfelt vows, we walked down an aisle, cut a cake, danced and saw old friends from around the country, and at the end of the evening I didn't have to drop off my date at her place ever again.

So that was my wedding in 700 words or less. Be blessed... be loved...

Labels: ,

4 Comments:
Blogger Ryann said...
It was such a cool wedding. I'm so glad you married my best friend! (and I bet you are too. :)

Blogger Tory Jane said...
Such cute pictures, Dave! I wish you guys the best! Thanks for sharing your special day with those of us who don't know you THAT well, and who weren't there... Looks like it was beautiful day! Congratulations!

Blogger Alex said...
Hey Dave, congrats! Love the pics!

Blogger Jim Bleakley said...
Thanks Dave! These are great. Looks like an amazing day. Only wish we could have been there :(