Wednesday, November 22, 2006
What's Your List?
A couple months back a wise woman I know named Theresa Decker (who also happens to be my mother-in-law) preached a message that is still swimming around in my heart. I was going to mold this into my own thoughts, but instead I think I just want to put her words out there for everyone to think about. So without further ado...

-------------------------------
"Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? - Romans 8:35
Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardships or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? That's a weird list until we read about what'’s happened in Paul's life:
Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my own countrymen, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false brothers. I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches. Who is weak, and I do not feel weak? Who is led into sin, and I do not inwardly burn? - 2 Corinthians 11:24-29

That was Paul's list. He'’s speaking out of what he knows.

Here's my list. What will separate me from the love of Christ? Will grief or loneliness or disappointment or failure or depression or illness or death? What is your list?

-------------------------------

Nothing will separate me from the love of Christ. It's hope that's been fortified. It's love that will not fail you. Will stress or anxiety or depression separate me from the love of Christ?
No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. - Romans 8:37-39
And finally, for that I am thankful. See you next week!

Labels: ,