Friday, January 26, 2007
Whiteboard Therapy: An Ebenezer
Here's a very brief recap of the Whiteboard Therapy project:
I'd like to invite you to interpret scripture so that we can apply it to our lives. Let's "work out our faith" as a community. Each Thursday I'm going to put something up and make sure it doesn't leave the front page until the following Thursday. It's okay to be wrong and it's okay to be right. I want this to be a safe space to throw out ideas and dig in together. There are no thoughts too simple, no questions too basic. You can even just ask your own questions and I'll post them to the list of questions. Feel free to post as often as you'd like, and anyone can comment, not just Blogger users. For more information, read this.
1 Samuel 7:12 (NLT)
"Samuel then took a large stone and placed it between the towns of Mizpah and Jeshanah. He named it Ebenezer (which means “the stone of help”), for he said, “Up to this point the Lord has helped us!”"

Questions to get us started:
Why did Samuel raise the Ebenezer?
How do you think it helped the Israelites?
Would it ever be helpful if the Church could plant an Ebenezer?
Would it ever be helpful for you to plant an Ebenezer?
Are Church buildings, sculptures and statues like an Ebenezer?
Can an Ebenezer be in your mind, or is the physical reminder necessary?
What are some practical ways we can plant an Ebenezer today?

As always, there are no set answers I have for these questions. I want to discover what this means together, drawing on our knowledge, studies, experiences and relationship with God.

photo "Stone Balanced Tower" by Gilest

Labels:

1 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Dave:

Great post on Ebenezer. I have always loved that concept, and it's something that's been helpful to me. There are two in my life:

1. "Sturtevant 3 miles"
The sign when you get off I-94 at Highway 11. God had given me a vision a year or two before of "Sturtevant". Two years later he got me a job, and I remember going to the interview wondering if this was God's provision, and seeing the sign (I had thought the company was in Racine since they had a Racine address). I did get the job, it was God's provision in a very rough time, and whenever I saw the sign again for the next 3 years, it was a "stone of God's help."

2. My journal
I can barely go into how this serves as a reminder of the miraculous hand of God in my life, and way beyond my life. Suffice it to say, our Lord is real and loves us intensely.