Wednesday, February 21, 2007
Ash Wednesday
In some circles, the season of Lent is called "Bright Sadness". Over the next forty days, thousands of Christians around the world will spend time meditating on their mortality, their sin and their walk with God. My understanding is that the season was originally for new converts to prepare for their baptism on Easter Sunday, and later for the entire church to be a part of. Lent involved prayer, fasting and alms giving as penance for our sins.

Even as a a symbolic act, I don't think penance helps us draw nearer to our Creator, mostly because I think it gets peoples' wires crossed about what happened on the Cross. But I do see a great amount of power in the liturgy of Lent. So I'm entering into the next forty days as a season of contemplation on repentance and my place in the Kingdom of God. This will include more intentional times of prayer, fasting and alms giving. I expect it to be a deeply personal time between God and I, but I hope to share pieces of it on my blog throughout the season.

Today is Ash Wednesday, when many people will go to their respective churches and put ashes and oil on their heads, signifying repentance. They will hear a clergyman say "Remember, man, that you are dust and unto dust you shall return." In the past, I've rejected these practices for what I've perceived as negative consequences they create in people I care about. I'm still not completely satisfied with some of that, but this year I want to embrace Lent and harness the potential it have for drawing us deeper into a relationship with God.

For my friends at the Evanston Vineyard, remember that the sanctuary is open most of the day today, ending at nine this evening. It's a beautiful opportunity to have a quiet and familiar place for reflection and prayer as we enter into this season. And you can help out at The Harvest before or after your time. I hope to see you there!

Labels: