Monday, March 12, 2007
Weight Loss For Pets
A new drug is being introduced to fight obesity in our pets.

Obesity.

In pets.

Growing up, I had two schnauzers that I loved dearly, Maynard and Bernie (Maynard after jazz trumpeter and frequent aural stratosphere visitor Maynard Ferguson, and Bernie as a combination of Bert and Ernie, of Sesame Street of course). Now, my parents made the decisions about the dogs when it came to medicine, but if it were up to me I can't necessarily say outright that I would be unwilling to spend a ton of money keeping my dog alive for years. As fellow dog lovers will understand, they were close friends.

But when I hear about all the medications being prescribed to dogs and cats and the rest, including anti-depressants, I fear that we've taken that phrase "man's best friend" a bit too literally. And in light of the dog bakeries ("Barkeries," I'm told they're called), and the fact that the store for pets in the little shopping district near our house was packed on Saturday, I find myself with a question that I'd just like to ask out loud.

Is this trend a reflection of our society's affluence or our increasing isolation?

Treating your pets like family isn't a new concept. This is simply another example of the market filling a perceived need. But in an age where 25% of Americans have no confidant, I think it's worth noting that people want and are capable of deep, loving relationships. Maybe we've just fast-food-ed our way to having a dog actually be our closest friend. And regardless of your love for dogs, we must all admit that a dog isn't a substitute for real human intimacy and relationship.

Of course, the flipside is that we're one step closer to America's Next Top Dog Model. I'm not sure which topic is more urgent.

[Note: Photo is of neither Maynard nor Bernie, but he does make a compelling case for spending a ton of money on your pets.]

Labels: ,