Tuesday, September 11, 2007
Will there be Autumn in Heaven?
The seasons should be rearranged. No, wait, scratch that. Work schedules and life calendars should be rearranged. We should have a national mandate that all summer activities be moved to the months of September and October (and April and May), with some spillover into November. All summer long there were lots of things to do outdoors, and we even had half-day Fridays at the office, and I found myself longing to enjoy the fresh air... conditioning. Now, it's in the high 60s and I'm stuck inside at a desk until basically sundown. (Although, through the grace of God, and a nice promotion, I have an office with windows).

This weather raises all sorts of deeply profound theological questions, such as:

What will the weather in Heaven be like?

If it's always hot, like so many of my friends wish our weather was like, will I enjoy that, or will I be miserable?

What if it never snows?

What if, when I die, I never see snow again.

Will I be okay with that?

How does it work? Do I magically forget that I love crisp-cool weather and just not miss it?

Will it be a blind ignorance feeling, or a fully-aware acceptance?

Why create something as wonderful and stirringly divisive as the seasons if they're only temporary?

Are there ever days you feel like you just may like earth more than Heaven?

Was that heretical?

Feel free to post your thoughts. Happy autumn everyone!

Labels:

3 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Dave,
What if Heaven will always be the perfect temperature? I like to think God has every intention to make sure we enjoy our eternal happiness and bring us home to a comfortable climate. Heaven will probably be different for each of us. Seeing how you enjoy Autum for you it may always be Autum but for those that love July weather may always experiance that.

I agree that it would not be fun if God allowed us to enjoy the seasons while on earth but then take them away form us in Heaven but Heaven may be this incredibly peaceful place that is just right and we will never even notice the difference between oue lives on earth.

Blogger Shanel said...
Seasons will definitely be in heaven, but magnified and glorified to the 10th brilliance. "A new earth"...We won't be on clouds floating around. Read some of the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe books. I think he does a fabulous job portraying the earth and creation in it's glorified state. All symbolism and imagery, but it gives us a taste, a hint, a peak. I bless your hunger for heaven, Dave.

Blogger Dave Sandell said...
Tom - I like that idea. I do like the different climates at different times, although if it stayed like this year-round, that'd be fine with me. But maybe the season will match our moods. I kind of want to explore God's creation though, and not have a Heaven centered on me. Maybe this is just a veiled cry to move to San Diego.

Shanel - In addition to our Bible Studies / reading retreats, etc, we should all get together as a church and watch "Planet Earth" and "The Blue Planet" and marvel at what God has created on Earth and then dream about Heaven.